Thursday, January 27, 2011

My First Love

I will start by stating that there are HUGE differences between My TRUE Love, My FIRST Love and The Love of My LIFE. I won't explain the minute nuances of each right now (as I will more than likely talk about them in later Blogs); I will right now talk about My FIRST Love.When I first met her in high school, I was just like everyone else, I was in awe. I was intimidated by her shape, stance and poise. Once I walked over to her and we made contact she immediately gave me strength, encouragement and confidence.

She let me know that she would always be there for me and support my endeavors from here on out. I would later find out just how valuable this "lifetime unconditional" support would be.

She kept her promise from day one. She was at every practice pushing me harder every day. Teaching me the strength I had within so that when the time came I would be able to draw on that strength when I needed it the most. She attended every meet, letting me know that I could have expectations but no limitations. Letting me know that inpractice I showed the promise to win, be great, legendary and even EPIC.....and I did, time after time. Before I graduated high school I was awarded Class III elite status and qualified for the Junior Olympics in my craft.

Then, came the heartbreak. I had a life changing decision to make, either leave after high school to attend US Army basic training in June or wait and compete in the Junior Olympics in August of 1992. I continued to train and she continued to support. As the time drew near for my final decision I knew deep down I would have second thoughts, however I chose to start what would become my profession.......US Army Soldier. Looking back I have no regrets however I do frequently wonder "what if"?


As I boarded the plane to leave my hometown of Kansas City, Missouri I began to have immediate withdrawals. I missed the time that I spent with her just about every day.



I missed that support and comfort that she provided while simultaneously instilling me with confidence supreme. I drew on our frequent encounters to help push me through the rigors of basic training. I would call my old coach weekly to check and see how she was doing in my absence. He would assure me that if I came home to visit, he would make sure that we would be able to train together.

Once I graduated Basic Training and AIT (Advanced Individual Training) and returned home to visit, my coach made good on his promise and made sure that our reunion was a pleasant one. Upon our first embrace, all of the feelings and old emotions I had missed so much came washing back to me like a wave from the North Shore of the Hawaiian main island.


Throughout my career she would continue to support me every chance she got. Her proven support reached the

pinnacle during my first deployment to the Balkan area of the Former Yougoslav Republic of Macedonia. I reached out to her because now more than ever I needed someone that I KNEW would not let me down. My constant contact was reciprocated by the best personal improvements in confidence mental and physical ability that I didn't even think was possible. Her unwavering support was instrumental in my making my hobby a passion that I would pursue from here on out.


I left Germany to come back stateside in 1997 injured. A serious, career ending ankle sprain that sidelined me not only physically but mentally as well. My injury lingered on so long that my physical structure suffered. My aesthetic p
resence suffered more than anything as I began to forget all she taught me and let myself go. Once again she contacted me to pick me up, dust me off and get my confidence back. She reminded me of what she had taught me in Macedonia. "No matter what" she said" I told you I would ALWAYS be here for you!" She began to walk with me through the rough transition and recovery process. Always encouraging me in ways that I couldn’t fathom. During that time I learned a lot about myself personally, emotionally and spiritually. I learned that when I would get depressed or down about anything, I could always call upon her to give me that moment of clarity that I so desperately needed.

In Korea she would reach out to me and issue a challenge. "Just how far can you take yourself?" She said. "Can you take yourself to the next level and validate all that you have learned to this point?" "Can you be the new poster child for inspiration under extreme circumstances?" As I sat and pondered everything that I was faced with as the challenge; I decided to embark on a journey that would define me and bring me to where I am today. With her tutelage, encouragement and support I was able to indeed take it to the next level of aesthetic excellence.

As I sit here today, recalling all that she has done for me up until this point I know now that I cannot let her down. I will once again rise like a Phoenix from the ashes to be better, stronger and faster. I will be mentally, physically, spiritually and emotionally prepared for the next chapter in my life with her help. I guess that’s how it goes with your First Love. You tend to always be drawn to one another no matter what. So now it's time again to rekindle that special affair with lifting the weights that became My First Love.

No comments: