Saturday, June 13, 2009

Hail and Farewell Part 3 (The Hail)


For years I have considered myself a non-conformist. So again I will say to those of you that don’t know me, purchasing a Honda Anything (Outside of an NSX) is really not my style.

Having dealt with a German Car in an area like Augusta GA is akin to having the USS Enterprise. No one wants to touch it and everyone wonders what it is (or so it seems). So when I got to the Cleo Bay lot in TX I was immediately drawn to the 2007 VW Jetta GLI. Sleek, turbo and fast as all hell, however that wouldn’t stop my German car maintenance blues. As a matter of fact with it being a turbo it would most certainly add to my “who can fix it” problem. So after the flogging of the test drive to Copperas Cove I pulled on the lot to look for something more “responsible”.


Well Dillon (the salesman at Cleo Bay good looking out!) asked what it was that I was looking for. I told him that I would really like a V6 and leather. Everything else that usually falls within those lines has what I look for in comfort. Even if it doesn’t I know that I will more than likely do enough work to the car to make it what I want it to be. So he pointed me to a 2006 fully loaded Accord EX. V6, creamy leather interior, Satellite radio……………….hummmmmmmmmm this thing shows promise.


Well they maxed me out on my trade in of the Passat (of course) and this is a certified pre-owned Honda which means that it comes with a 100,000 mile power train warranty along with other perks and bonuses. Truth be told, unless you just like throwing money down the drain or you are one of those “I have to have it first in my neighborhood” types. I really don’t see the benefit of buying brand new anymore with all the certified pre-owned programs out there.

While not as smooth as the VW Passat that I had it had more than enough punch and with the upcoming modifications I am sure that I will be well within the 275-300 hp range in no time. I will start with the visual modifications first and go on to the sound system which will be tricky as the climate controls are integrated with the head unit. Stay tuned as this will no doubt be just as interesting as the last 2 babies that I had.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...nice.